Monday, September 19, 2011

Island life- vacation or home?

My husband and I were driving home yesterday when we heard an intriguing song called Knee Deep by the Zack Brown Band.

The part that really makes me laugh is this line. "Wrote a note, said be back in a minute, bought a boat and I sailed off in it." And he keeps sailing until he reaches an island where he hangs out knee deep in the water sure he's found paradise.

Unless he's part Swiss Family Robinson, I'm not sure how he plans to survive on this island. Perhaps he has tree-house building skills and has found an island of endless fruit...regardless, the long term situation is blissfully left out of this song.

Maybe that's why the song is so appealing. Its audaciously ridiculous to imagine renting a boat and sailing into the ocean until you land on an island that you deem your new home. But there's something a little appealing in the thought, nonetheless.

I imagine that while some listeners may be inspired to go on a cruise or plan a trip to the beach after hearing the upbeat ode to the waves, few if any would actually attempt what the song suggests.


But perhaps what could be attempted is a bit of self reflection. Do I enjoy my life? Would I be tempted to sail away and try again elsewhere if I had the chance? Is something missing? If so, what? What steps could I take to add more meaning and joy into my time?

Perhaps instead of sailing away to an unknown island, we need to simply sail ahead, adjusting to the winds, enjoying the clear waters and the bright sun, and living with gratitude for those sailing with us.









No comments:

Post a Comment