Tuesday, October 4, 2016

How do you find truth?

I've reached a point in the political disaster that is this election season where I'm done.  I'm not watching the debate.  I rarely click on FB links or read the emotionally charged news articles that pop up in my feed.

I'm frustrated with the whole thing.  And with that frustration comes doubt and distrust.  I'm skeptical of almost anything circulating about the election today.   How do I know if it is true?

Technically it may be true.  But the message could be a complete lie.

For example, what if I gave this statement to a reporter: "I hate getting up for work in the mornings, but I'm so grateful for my job."   

The reporter could choose to only broadcast the first part. "I hate getting up for work in the mornings."

"What an ungrateful person", the commenters could then say.  "Kristen has a great job.  How could she complain like that."

The statement broadcast about me would be only partially true, this rendering it actually false.

How then do we find truth?   

I don't have a political answer.  But the apostle John has a lot to say on this topic.     Biblegateway.com tells me that John mentions the word 'truth' 23 times in his gospel and 19 times in his letters.  Matthew, Mark, and Luke mention the word 'truth' only 4 times combined in their gospels.

In his second letter, John says that the truth "lives in us and will be with us forever."

In John 16:13 he tells us that when the Spirit of truth comes, "He will guide you into all truth...He will tell you what is to come."

Like so many good things in life, the answer is not always quick or easy.  In order to find truth we must learn to listen for its voice.

But what a voice worth finding.
















Photo Credit Aaron Burden


No comments:

Post a Comment