Friday, January 24, 2014

The Last Tuesday

This week I happened to get in the elevator with someone I didn't really know.  While making small talk I mentioned that it was only Tuesday.  To which he responded that it was his last Tuesday.

Without additional clarification this statement would have been rather disturbing, but he went on to say that he was retiring at the end of the week.

Thus it was his last Tuesday as a full time employee.

I was struck by the importance of the occasion for his life.

What will he do with his time now?  Will he relocate to live near family?  Finally have hours of uninterrupted time for a favorite hobby?  Volunteer more at church?

It's also an interesting perspective for me as I'm still early in my career.  But one day if God does not return before this time in my life arrives, I too will face retirement.

What do I hope to accomplish between now and then?

What kind of a difference do I hope to make in the working world?

And am I using my talents and abilities where they can bring wisdom, joy, and hopefully blessing to others?

These are types of questions that we would all probably do well to ponder from time to time as we ask God to continue to guide and bless and lead.



"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."   Philippines 1:6


No comments:

Post a Comment