Monday, July 2, 2012

Everything you wished for

My husband and I recently bought the extended edition of Lord of the Rings.  I know I may be a little late to the party with this, but we are really enjoying watching the DVDs, in fact watching the extended edition is almost watching them again for the first time.

In the second movie, the Two Towers, there is a a scene that I find rather sad.   Arwen the beautiful elf Evenstar is deciding between remaining on Middle Earth to be with Aragorn who she loves or heading to the Undying Lands with her father Elrond and the rest of her people.

In a poignant speech Elrond reminds her that even if all she hopes for comes true and she marries Aragorn and he is crowned king, even if these wonderful things happen, she would still at some point lose him and come to death herself.

It's a thought progression that merits some reflection for us as well.  What if all the wonderful things we hope for in life come true?  The dream job, a happy marriage, healthy children.

Even if life on Earth goes well, there is still the silent march of time and age asking us to consider the question, what happens next?

In the book the Return of the King, Aragorn offers a hint of the answer.  On his deathbed he says to Arwen, "But let us not be overthrown at the final test, who of old renounced the Shadow and the Ring.  In sorrow we must go, but not in despair.  Behold!  we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory."

While it is interesting to read of hints and illusions of such ideas, it is more valuable to know for certain one's true final destiny.

I don't always understand the Bible perfectly.  There are many verses and doctrines that people can debate.  But one thing I do understand is that the blood of Jesus paid the price for my sins and my failings.  And because of His great and incredible sacrifice, my future is secure in Him.  No matter what happens in life, I can know the ending.  Maybe not all the particulars, but enough to know the ending is really just the beginning.  The beginning of something more wonderful and good then even my imagination can create.

And that is Good News indeed!






No comments:

Post a Comment